« Battle The Fox | Main | Welcome Mick! »

October 18, 2006

Those Pesky Kids

[my first post]

I had some friends over for dinner last night and one of the things we talked about was TV. We meandered across;

- "Six Feet Under is my favourite TV show of all time"
- "Do you have season six of West Wing yet?"
- "I saw this video on YouTube where..."
- "I just don't get reality TV.... but I love Biggest Loser"
- "I really don't know what kids see in this 'whacky antics' TV?"
- "MTV doesn't even play music anymore???"

I tried to find some 'Happy Slapper' video that is worth showing, but couldn't. So here is one that is not worth showing. All the kids are doing it these days..........

What I took from all of that was;
1. We all think we don't watch much TV. We all in fact do watch at least 5 hours of TV a week, more like 10.
2. We don't like the idea of reality TV. We all in fact do like 'some' reality TV
3. We all think that kids are crazy and have no clue. We all in fact also looked the same way to our parents when watching the programs that defined our youth.
4. We all slip seamlessly between different mediums and don't consider them different. I can be as easily entertained by a 30 second video someone sends me as a 24 part series where Jack Bower saves the world again.

It's funny trying to be the change and going through the change at the same time.

Posted by Mick at October 18, 2006 1:43 AM

Trackback Pings

TrackBack URL for this entry:

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Those Pesky Kids:

» acrobat adobe from acrobat adobe
shit-happens 1096290 Actual articles about acrobat adobe and more. [Read More]

Tracked on June 16, 2007 5:57 AM

» guaranteed credit card uk from guaranteed credit card uk
shit-happens 1096290 This page contains some info about guaranteed credit card uk [Read More]

Tracked on June 17, 2007 5:57 PM

» rose oil from rose oil
shit-happens 1096290 Relevant rose oil [Read More]

Tracked on June 24, 2007 3:19 AM

» confession madonna tour from confession madonna tour
shit-happens 1096290 Search results for 'confession madonna tour'. [Read More]

Tracked on June 26, 2007 8:53 AM

Comments

Wow, I didn’t realize we were being recorded ;-)

Over the last few years Mary and I have gotten involved in a few serial shows, namely West Wing, Sopranos & Six Feet Under….and have really enjoyed the adventure. But we’re now hesitant to commit to new shows because it is a significant investment of time. I *want* to watch Deadwood, I *want* to see what Lost is all about….I want to be entertained but I don’t want to take on another project.

Reality TV is like a serial show, however some reality shows are much easier to sample than others. If I miss an episode or two of The Biggest Loser, I can pretty much figure out what happened by watching the next one. Shows like Lost require your undivided attention which honestly, I can’t give while reviewing emails or cooking dinner.

Viva le short-attention span!

Here’s a depressing thought: we may have approx 35 years left to our lives….if you read at the impressible pace of 1 book per week, that still leaves less than 2,000 books you can get through before you die.

Choose wisely!